Friday, April 23, 2010

Tornado Watch

Well, yesterday we experienced our first tornado watch...which lasted from around 1:30 pm until about 1 am or so. Lets just say that it was the most nerve-wracking 12 hours I've had in a LONG time!! Tornadoes just freak me out and I REALLY don't want to experience one while we are here...or ever for that matter! I watched the news and weather channel for probably like 5 or 6 hours just watching the storms and making sure they weren't headed for us. Luckily for me, all the major storms that had tornadeos seemed to bypass us. And by the end of the night, after watching the radar nonstop online it looked as though we were finished with the storms!! Which meant that I could sleep peacefully.

I think the main thing that made me sooo incredibly nervous and on edge all afternoon was the fact that we don't have a "real" basement to go down to (it's just a cellar type thing that's under our house that you access through a door in the floor, and I've never been down there and just the thought of having to go down there creeps me out!), and that our little house has like 14 or 15 windows and only 2 inner rooms that we could hide out in, which probably wouldn't have done much since our house is soo old, that it probably would have blown away anyways! There is a shelter under the high school that we could go to, which is nice and comforting to know, however having never been here during a tornado I'm not sure how it all works in the evening when the school is all locked up and not as easily accessible. Anyways, I probably wouldn't have been as scared and nervous if we just had a regular basement that we could hide out in...but just the same, I just have to get through the next 3-4 weeks without another storm system like this one and I'll be just fine because we'll be back in Idaho!!

A little recap of the storm, there were at least 35 tornadoes that touched down in the 5-6 hours of watching the news in Eastern Colorado, Western Kansas, and the panhandles of Oklahoma and Texas and at least 19 of that 35 were just in Western Kansas. Several of them were pretty big ones, measuring at least a mile wide!! Just CRAZY...Anyways, it's a nice sunny day today and even though we are supposed to have a few thunderstorms and rain the next few days, I can handle that!

2 comments:

Mary Mathews said...

I know your not going to be there much longer but I would still be prepared. I would at least go down to the celler to check and make sure that it could be a protective place you you guys. Also I totally know about how scary they are. I remember growing up and having to sit in a inner closet and just wait is a tornado going to come or is it just another scare. But I would find out about the high school. It probably has access even though school is out. But I hope you dont have to experience them. They are scary. But its always good to be safe. (I grew up in Texas not as bad as kansas or oklamaha sp? but still it was bad enough when the tornados came and left destruction)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.